Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Growing mophead hydrangeas



When I think of a flower of the south, the one that comes to mind first is the Hydrangea. Visions of snowballs as big as my head all over my grandmother house in the summer is what led me to purchase my first bushes and plant them in front of my entryway. Mine are the heaven blue variety and look stunning against my tan house.

Mophead hydrangeas are the most common grown. They are personally my favorite, although there are five different varieties available in the US.

Where do I plant my hydrangea?

Hydrangeas like moist well drained soil so either plant them where the water will run off or add a few shovel fulls of compost when planting. They also like the sun but should be protected from the blazing afternoon for the most blooms. If they begin to look wilted they are thirsty, but mine do best if watered in the morning.

How do I change the color of my bloom?

The color of your bloom all depends on the ph level of your soil. You can buy a tester kit for fairly cheap at your local home store. For blue blooms your soil needs to be acidic or have about a 5.5 ph level or lower. For pink blooms try to get the ph level to about 6.5. If your soil falls in between don't be surprised to see multi-colored or purple blooms.

How do I prune my bush?

You will have a healthy looking, larger bush if you will prune it back by about 1/3 very early each spring. They can be pruned to be kept smaller but if you are wanting a shrub less than four feet high this would not be an Idea choice. Hydrangeas bloom on the previous years wood and on new growth, so for the most blooms each try not to cut back too far.

No comments:

Post a Comment