Wednesday, May 6, 2009

My Tomatoes

So this year is the first year that I actually have a yard to grow in instead of my second story balcony. So this year one of the many plants I have decided to add to my gardeners belt it tomatoes.

Now it took me awhile standing the Lowes garden center to decide which variety to go with. At first I thought about a cherry or grape tomato but I knew that my children would rob me every afternoon and I would have nothing to show for my work. Then I thought about a plum tomato, but those are best when cooked and do I really want to spend my summer in the hot kitchen making sauces. I decided no so moving on I discovered the Better boy tomato. Is there anything better in the summer than a garden fresh tomato on your salad? I think not.

So I took my little six pack home and sat it upon my porch. Now what? It was still too cold for ground planting. How long was I to leave these tiny little things in the plastic pack? So after about two weeks of contemplating this, I finally retrieved some terra cotta pots from my shed and went to planting.

To my surprise, they actually started growing! I left them in the pots for about six weeks. I pinched the tops off after they had four healthy shoots ( just like they say to do). And they grew even more! So finally I picked a spot close to our fence and planted them, knowing that they would probably just die. I had ran out of potting soil so I just used the ground dirt and my son 'Helped" me fertilize them and I was sure they were burnt, and then it rained for 13 days.

I was sure they would drown so imagine my joy when I trekked through the mud to check on them yesterday and my little babies are now almost 3 feet tall!! Just goes to show that there is such a thing as beginners luck. I can't wait for that first tomato.

2 comments:

  1. Ah, I envy you being almost ready to eat your tomoateos - my tomatoes are still mostly seeds, although a few are coming up in flats in the kitchen. I'm hoping to get them in the ground next weekend.

    Plant Lady

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I was amazed at how quickly they began to grow once I got them in the ground. I am so pleased with myself!

    ReplyDelete