Sunday, May 10, 2009

Relocating Spring Bulbs

Recently my husband decided to remove the flag pole from our front yard. I am not really attached to it as it came with our house when we purchased it this February. But, surrounding it were daffodil and Hyacinth bulbs that have been neglected for about 3 years.
This spring, as soon as they would put off a flower they would begin to wilt and be dead within a week. I knew they needed to be transplanted because there were far to many in such a small area, but late spring is probably not the best time for this. All my garden books say to transplant bulbs in the fall.
My husband couldn't wait that long. So my children and I spent about 3 hours Saturday digging them up and placing them in a bucket. I have been told that you can store them in sand or vermiculite until the following season, but there were about 200 bulbs in there I kept thinking "what if I kill them all? There is no way I could ever replace them.
So... I armed my children with little shovels and we began to dig. We were able to separate them into four piles that we placed all over the front, back and side yards. All of this from one little bed!

We just removed the top two inches of grass and roots, placed a few bulbs here and there and sprinkled them with bone meal. Usually you would only fertilize right before a bulb blooms, but I wanted them to hurry up and grow new roots.
I'm not sure if this will work, but I figured its worth a shot. I guess we will know next spring!

No comments:

Post a Comment